Learning the H1B Green Card Application Categories

social security card and green card

The goal of every foreign worker in the United State is to get a green card. A big part of this is establishing permanent residence, which is an important stage in the life of every employee working under an H1B visa.

There are several different categories under which an employer can file for a green card for an H1B employee, and we handle each of these areas at the offices of Buhler Thomas Law, P.C. Let’s look each of the EB1, EB2 and EB3 categories for H1B application, and how they differ.

EB1 Category

The EB1 category is considered relatively special, and is designed for exceptional employees. This include inventors, celebrities, executives and other high-profile employees. In these cases, a green card is generally granted within a 12-month period.

The EB1 application requires that employers prove the extraordinary abilities they claim for the employee – for a company executive, for instance, the company must be able to provide records proving their status, at the minimum. There might be additional requirements in some cases as well.

EB2 Category

For non-exceptional employees, the EB2 category is generally the quickest way to receive a green card. Most basic employers such as staffing and IT consulting companies file green cards under this category to attempt to gain permanent residence status. Minimum requirements here include a Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in the United States, and a minimum of five years of working experience. In most cases, it will take between 4 and 5 years to receive a green card under this format.

EB3 Category

Most large employers, including Fortune 500 companies, file green card applications under the EB3 category. The requirements are slightly relaxed here – this program requires two years of experience, and a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Green card approval can take between 8 and 15 years under the EB3 category.

To find out more about green card applications or any of our other services, speak to our immigration attorneys at Buhler Thomas Law, P.C. today.