Green Card & Permanent Residency Attorney

Countless families and individuals across the world have dreams of building a better life in the United States. To do so without restrictions, it is important to obtain a green card.

Acquiring a green card even in Provo, Utah is not easy, however – and having a Utah green card attorney by your side throughout the process is necessary. For decades now, Buhler Thomas Law, P.C. has been assisting those who wish to obtain a green card in Utah. We understand that this is a big step toward naturalization.

What is a Green Card?

A green card, formally known as the United States Lawful Permanent Residency Card, authorizes an individual to live in the U.S. permanently. Those who hold such an identification card are eligible for employment and for a citizenship application after a certain number of years of residency (with exceptions made for those who come to the country as refugees and those who marry U.S. citizens).

The term of the card is ten years, but is renewable. It is issued by the Citizenship and Immigration Services, a branch under the Department of Homeland Security.

Admissibility and Procedure

The requirements in obtaining a green card vary depending on whether you’re already in the US on a temporary visa, or are still seeking entry to the country.

Whichever the case, our immigration lawyers will work with you to submit the initial admissibility requirements, and guide you through the steps in obtaining a timely adjustment status to remain on American soil.

Family-Based Green Cards

You may obtain a family green card for a spouse, parent or unmarried child under 21. Other relatives and family members are may be eligible for lawful permanent residency depending on the circumstances. Our immigration attorney can assist you in apply for and obtaining a family green card.

Adjustment of Status

You can obtain a green card under a variety of specific circumstances if you are already in the U.S. lawfully. This includes adjusting your status from visitor to lawful resident and obtaining a green card after entering the country via a fiancé or non-immigrant spouse visa.

Employment-Based Green Cards

To obtain a green card through employment, you must demonstrate your qualifications based on the nature of your work. Our employment green card lawyer can help you determine the best approach for you to obtain lawful permanent resident status through your job qualifications.

Other Permanent Resident Services

Other options for obtaining a green card include those for political refugees, asylum seekers, victims of certain crimes, religious workers, and others. Our green card lawyer can evaluate the details of your situation and advise you on the best approach for you to achieve lawful permanent residency.

Green Card through Family

US citizens can petition certain family members to come to the country and live in Provo, Utah permanently through a green card. Immediate relatives (spouses, parents, and unmarried children under the age of 21) are exempt from quotas, and typically have the fastest path to obtain lawful residence in America. They have no waiting time.

Other relatives fall into the “preferences” category, where only a certain number of applicants per category per year may receive a green card. A preference system puts them in a queue for a visa number. The higher the preference, the sooner they may receive a green card.

  • 1st Preference: Unmarried children over the age of 21
  • 2nd Preference: Married children
  • 3rd Preference: Siblings


Green Card through Marriage

An individual married to a US citizen can obtain a marriage green card with help from our Provo, Utah lawyers. An immigrant visa petition may be processed, so that the foreign spouse may enter American soil as a permanent resident.

What happens if the two get divorced? The good news is that separation does not immediately mean you no longer qualify for a US citizenship. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), however, may closely scrutinize your marriage and divorce. This is so they’ll know if the marriage was for immigration purposes only, rather than a sincere intent to be wed.

Green Card through Employment

Aspiring immigrants may obtain a green card when offered permanent employment in the US. The employer, however, must obtain the PERM Labor Certification, which can be complex and overwhelming.

If you are an employer who wishes to sponsor an employee through a green card, we can help you with the Form I-140 and in handling issues with the Department of Labor.

Contact our law office online or call us at 801-691-0604 to learn more.