Fiance Visa Attorney

At Buhler Thomas Law, P.C., our Provo fiancé visa attorney has over two decades of experience guiding clients through the often lengthy and potentially costly process of acquiring a fiancé visa. With extensive documentation and so many deadlines, it is wise to consult with an experienced attorney who can ensure that your application and paperwork proceeds with minimal obstacles. In addition, there are immigration consequences if a non-U.S. citizen attempts to come into the United States on a visa other than a fiancé visa such as a visitor visa and gets married. Obtaining correct immigration legal advice in advance of planning a wedding will give you peace of mind.

Utah K1 Visa Attorney

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has set forth certain requirements that must be met if you petition for a fiancé(e) visa:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen
  • The petitioner intends to marry within 90 days of the fiancé entering the U.S.
  • The petitioner and their fiancé are both free to marry, and all previous marriages have been legally terminated
  • They have met each other in person at least once within two years of filing your petition

After entering the United States on a fiancé visa, they are free to get married. Once they are married, the foreign national spouse can apply for permanent residence and receive a two-year conditional  green card. This process might seem frustrating and time consuming. You must remember, however, that this is the correct process to follow. By meeting all requirements and adhering to all regulations, you stand a better chance of avoiding adverse immigration consequences in the future. Let our lawyer help you begin your new life with your loved one.


For those United States citizens who marry foreign nationals residing in the United States, there are various rules and regulations that must be understood and applied prior to filing for adjustment of status. Filing for a family-based “green card” for their spouse may seem straight forward. There are, however, numerous issues that may make a person unable to obtain a “green card” such as an illegal entry, an overstay of a visa, a past crime, a medical condition, and past financial support issues. Meeting with our office in advance will allow you to determine any challenges in advance which will prevent you from becoming a permanent resident.


For those United States citizens who marry foreign nationals outside the United States, please refer to the page concerning Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing to learn about the process of Consular Processing.

Whatever your situation is, Kim Buhler-Thomas is well equipped to meet with you and determine your specific immigration case needs.

Because immigration law is governed by federal law, we can provide legal services to clients domestically and internationally. Contact us today.