Extending a Visa Application to Remain in the U.S.

work permit

Millions of people around the globe dream of coming to the United States and fulfilling their dreams.  Before crossing the border, any foreign national must have a visa in order to enter the country legally. While you are in the country or trying to re-enter the country, there are several legal issues you must avoid to protect your visa status.


If you want to extend your stay longer than was stated on your initial visa, this must be done through the proper channels, and done BEFORE your current visa expires. We encourage you to file a request for a lengthened stay at least 45 days before the original visa expires. Visa admissions are typically granted if all the following conditions are met:

  • Applicant legally entered the country with a nonimmigrant visa.
  • Applicant has a valid nonimmigrant status.
  • No crimes have been committed by the applicant.
  • No conditions of admission have been violated by the applicant.
  • Applicant has a passport that will remain valid through the extended stay.

If a foreign national remains in the country for longer than they are authorized without permission through an extended stay, they may be removed and barred from returning.

Visa extensions are typically granted based on why the foreign national wants to remain in the country. Applicants must often prove that although they want to stay in the country, they don’t plan to live there permanently. A foreign national may have an extension denied if they have immigrant intent.

Lawful Entry to the United States

When you need to enter the country, you have the option to do it legally or illegally. Legal entry means applying for a visa before entering the country. Unlawful entry applies when anyone enters the country without obtaining a visa first.

Here at Buhler Thomas Law. P.C., we can answer any questions you have about the immigration process. We know it can be overwhelming and confusing, and we want to help. Contact us today to work with a qualified attorney on your immigration status.